My Adventures as a U.S. Diplomat and Family Man

First Stop: Tel Aviv, Israel (July 2012)!

Friday, July 15, 2011

Good Life

I'm a pretty lucky guy. I'm married to my soulmate and have two wonderful kids. I have a loving and supporting family. I went to top-notch schools and have worked for people and causes I believe in. I've traveled all around the world and am about to get paid to do it. And, oh yeah, on Monday I'll begin my lifelong dream of becoming a U.S. diplomat. It has been a good life and it only stands to get better.

The past week has been emblematic of the good life we enjoyed for the past six years in our hometown of Denver, Colorado. We've said and received heartfelt goodbyes at going away parties and last suppers. We'll miss a lot of birthday parties, holiday traditions and countless other irrecoverable moments but will still feel connected with friends and loved ones through Skype and Facebook. We also expect visits not only in DC but also in Tijuana, Timbuktu or wherever we happen to be posted (we find out August 19). I know some of you probably don't fashion yourself as part of the jet-setting crowd or being house guests in some far off land. But I do hope we can inspire some to visit us. Carpe diem. Dare to discover new places.

In 2004, my wife and I set out on a yearlong round-the-world journey that became affectionately known to us as "The Great Adventure." Over the past several days, I've been re-reading our online travelogue and can't help but feel we are about to embark on a much greater adventure. After all, traveling with young kids is an adventure in itself. (I'll have to convince them that Nyquil is a special juice only served on intercontinental plane rides.)

Today, we flew from Denver to DC and are spending our first night in our government housing in Falls Church, Virginia. We arrived in the early evening and didn't have much time to settle in but I can already tell we will continue to enjoy the good life here. First of all, we scored a refurbished two bedroom apartment in a prime location (read: noise insulation for our two young boys). We're also already smitten with the list of activities available to residents. There will be no shortage of things to do. The best part is that my family is here with me and we can share together in all the experiences to come.  

On that note, I'll sign off with a link to "Good Life," a song by One Republic. I often hear it on the radio (does anyone else still listen to music on this medium?) and think about how fitting it is these days.

3 comments: